Evaluation of Economic and Environmental Aspects of Paper and Paperboard Recycling from Municipal Solid Wastes of Isfahan City

AUTHORS

m Farzadkia 1 , arash dalvand 2 , * , mh Taghdisi 2

AUTHORS INFORMATION

1 Dept of Environmental Health Engineering, Faculty of Health, Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Tehran. Iran

2 Dept of Health education, Faculty of Health, Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Tehran. Iran

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Zahedan Journal of Research in Medical Sciences: 10 (3); e94512
Published Online: September 20, 2008
Article Type: Research Article
Received: July 09, 2008
Accepted: August 16, 2008

Crossmark

CHEKING

READ FULL TEXT
Abstract

Background: In the recent years, the problem of increased amount of municipal solid wastes
such as paper and paperboard and also unsafe disposal of them, cause damage to living
environment. Without implementing a good recycling process, wasting of national capital and
destroying of natural resources will ensue. Regarding the importance of recycling, we evaluated the
economic and environmental aspects of paper and paperboard recycling of municipal solid wastes
in Isfahan city.
Materials and Methods: It was a cross sectional- descriptive study that was done in 2006. The
required data was achieved by field observations, library studies, interview with head of recycling
organization, studying archived documents in that organization and finally analyzing them.
Results: From 24,864 tones paper and paperboard used in year 2006 in Isfahan city, only
15.39% were recycled and the rest of them (84.61%) which was mixed with wet solid waste were
thrown away. The economic and environmental advantages of 15.39% recycling paper and
paperboard in Isfahan city in year 2006 were saving 689,011 cubic meter water, saving 30,623
gigajoule energy and prevention of cutting 65,061 trees. The income from selling recycled paper
and paperboard in monitored year was about 1,951,841,000 Rials.
Conclusion: Paper and paperboard recycling from Isfahan municipal solid wastes has economic
and environmental justification.

Keywords

Recycling Paper Economic advantages Isfahan

© 2008, Zahedan Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.
Fulltext

The full text of this article is available on the PDF file.

References
  • 1. The References of this article are available on the PDF file.
  • COMMENTS

    LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: